Welcome to the WordPress Theme Developer Handbook, your resource for learning all about the exciting world of WordPress themes.
The Theme Developer Handbook is a repository for all things WordPress themes. Whether you’re new to WordPress themes, or you’re an experienced theme developer, you should be able to find the answer to many of your theme-related questions right here.
- If you’re new to developing WordPress themes, start with section 1, where you can find out what a theme is, learn about WordPress’ license, set up your development environment, and build your first theme.
- Once you’re through the introduction, the Theme Basics section will introduce you to the building blocks of a WordPress theme.
- The Theme Functionality section will show you all of the different types of functionality you can make use of in your theme.
- If you’re looking to give flexibility and yet protect your users, head over to the Customizer and Security sections
- If you’ve got to grips with the basics of themes, check out the Advanced Theme Topics to learn about child themes, best UI practices, theme testing and more.
- Once you’ve got your theme ready for the world, the final section will cover releasing your theme, teaching you some best practices for theme distribution, and for getting it ready for the WordPress.org theme directory.
The WordPress Theme Developer Handbook is created by the WordPress community, for the WordPress community. We are always looking for more contributors; if you’re interested stop by the docs team blog to find out more about getting involved.