Resources for Building on WordPress Edit
There are plenty (probably too many) resources online for you to get started with these web languages. It can be overwhelming!
With this resource page, we hope to focus on resources and guides that will help you the most to provide clear guidance and instruction on using HTML, CSS, PHP, and JS. This is nowhere near an exhaustive list, only meant to help you get started.
We recommend that you save or bookmark this page as a reference for learning while you’re working on your WordPress theme or plugin. See also:
– Theme Developer Handbook
– Plugin Developer Handbook
– Block Editor Handbook.
WordPress.org has released Learn WordPress which will guide you through several topics around developing for WordPress.
They will teach you the basics of HTML and CSS in their Responsive Web Design course.
Unfortunately, there’s currently no PHP course.
Beyond that, these are some resources you might find helpful for each of the languages.
If this is your first time using CSS with WordPress, this document provides a fantastic overview
Other than that, these are some solid resources for you to review:
- W3 Schools
- CSS Tricks
- CSS Zen Garden – the art of the possible in CSS
- CSS on A List Apart
- Flexbox Guide
- CSS Grid Guide
- CSS Grid by Example
- PHP Language Reference
- PHP Function Reference
- W3Schools PHP
- PHP The Right Way is a high level review of modern PHP
- PHPDoc for documenting your code
- SitePoint’s PHP resources
- The good folks at WebDev Studios have put out several books on WordPress theming, plugin development, and also how to use WordPress. You can find a list of their books here
- You Don’t Know JS is a book series on modern JS development. This the Github repo for the books, or you can purchase physical copies.
- PHP Cookbook
- Programming PHP