Welcome to the WordPress Plugin Developer Handbook; are you ready to jump right in to the world of WordPress plugins?
The Plugin Developer Handbook is a resource for all things WordPress plugins. Whether you’re new to WordPress plugin development, or you’re an experienced plugin developer, you should be able to find the answer to many of your plugin-related questions right here.
- If you’re new to plugin development, start by reading the introduction and then move on to the basics.
- The info in plugin security will introduce best practices for security related stuff.
- Hooks are what make your plugin interact with WordPress, and how you can let other developers interact with your plugin.
- Privacy will help you understand about handling sensitive data.
- To find out more about WordPress’ built-in functionality that you can use in your plugin, check out Administration Menus, Shortcodes, Settings, Metadata, Custom Post Types, Taxonomies, and Users.
- Learn about getting data using the HTTP API.
- To learn about time-based WordPress tasks, check out the Cron chapter.
- Internationalization is how you get your plugin ready for use in locales other than your own.
- When all that is done, you can prepare your plugin for inclusion in the Plugin Directory
- Finally: some developer tools you might find useful.
The WordPress Plugin Developer Handbook is created by the WordPress community, for the WordPress community. We are always looking for more contributors; if you’re interested, stop by the docs team blog to find out more about getting involved.