Before You Install Edit
Before installing WordPress, you need to check that your web hosting provider fulfills the necessary software and conditions. Also, you must have access to the server and some tools.
- PHP 7.4 or greater
- MySQL 5.7 or MariaDB 10.3 or greater
- HTTPS support
- Login Account (user id and password) to the server via FTP or shell
- Text Editor
- Your web browser of choice
You will need to know how to use a text editor to edit the main configuration file. If you are a Windows user, Notepad will do. If you’re an OS X user you can use TextEdit. Later, you will likely want to edit your Template Files (see Templates for some references). You can do this through the WordPress Administration Screens, but using a good text editor is highly recommended. For more information on this, see Editing files.
Now you are all set to go on to Installation.
- 2023-01-20: Changed MySQL and MariaDB versions. Fixed some links.
- 2022-09-11: Original content from Before You Install.