- Playground developer site on WordPress.org
- GitHub Repository
- WordPress Playground at State of the Word
- Developer Hours session
- Build in-browser WordPress experiences with WordPress Playground and WebAssembly
- WordPress Playground on developer.wordpress.org
- In-Browser WordPress Tech Demos: WordPress Development with WordPress Playground
- Initial announcement on make.wordpress.org
- Hackernews discussion
- Adam’s slides at WordCamp Wrocław (Polish)
Apps built with WordPress Playground
- Official demo and the showcase app – install a theme, try out a plugin, create a few pages, download everything
- wp-now – CLI tool for instant WordPress dev env
- WordPress Playground for VS Code
- GlotPress Translation Playground – help translate WordPress
- Interactive tutorial: HTML Tag Processor
- Interactive tutorial: Playground JS API
- Preview Gutenberg Pull Requests by updating the
- Notifications plugin demo by John Hooks
- Blocknotes – WordPress running as a native iOS app!
Build your first app
- Query String API – Customize Playground by changing the URL, e.g.
?plugin=coblocks&theme=pendant, them embed it with an
- Apps built with this API:
- Blueprints API – Setup Playground with a JSON file
Pick any open issue or propose a new one, clone the repo, and give it a try! If it seems like a big scary project – don’t worry, the onboarding experience is pretty decent. If you ping me on Twitter, I’ll give you a private tour of the project.
What we can build together in the future
- Testable, interactive documentation
- Trying out WordPress right on WordPress.org
- Previewing plugins and themes on WordPress.org
- Decentralized WordPress on Edge and without central servers
Is WordPress Playground available in another language?
Yes! Although it requires some work at the moment. You need to tell Playground to download and install the translation files and one way to do it is using the Blueprints API. There is no step-by-step tutorial yet, but you can learn by reading the source of Playground+Translations plugin in Polish language (GitHub link).
Will wp-cli be supported?
Yes! Some commands already work if you include
wp-cli.phar in the executed PHP code, and support for others is work in progress. The documentation will be progressively updated to reflect the progress.